Monday, August 03, 2009

1201.1 (221.8) Miles to Gallup, New Mexico


View Larger Map

Some quick-hit thoughts from the road today.
  • Just outside of Winslow, there is another set of ruins like those at Wupatki. Homolovi sits on the floodplain of the Little Colorado River. In the middle of a bone dry desert, the Little Colorado creates an oasis of lush green vegetation. It is almost how I think of an aerial view of Egypt and the Nile, with the mesas instead of sand.
  • A big fire was burning outside of Holbrook. The smoke could be seen for miles. Not sure what was happening, but the two Arizona Highway Patrol officers watching didn't seem too worried about it. And almost nothing stops the traffic on 40.
  • Missing a turn for 66 at Chambers, I ended up on a 94 mile loop through Navajo Nation past Window Rock and into New Mexico. Even though I wasn't sure where I was headed, I did recognize the road from my trip 5 years ago, going the opposite way from Window Rock down to Petrified Forest National Park. The highway eventually turned down to Gallup, where I met back up with 66 and stopped for the night.
Pictures are from Petrified Forrest National Park. First is shadows playing across the Painted Desert (north of 40) carved by the Little Colorado. Second is the third version of this picture, each time I've taken it with a different car. Third is a sign and view down from the loop road into the Petrified Forrest (south of 40). Last two are views of Blue Mesa Trail.





No comments: